Community Health Worker
Under general direction, is responsible for entry-level professional community health workers in one of several public health programs. Serves as a liaison between health and social services and the community to facilitate access to services and improve the quality and cultural proficiency of service delivery and work to improve health equity. Conducts outreach to implement programs in the community that promotes, maintain, and improves individual and community health. Exercises no supervision.
Essential Job Functions
- Employ strategic community building and organizing techniques to engage key internal and community stakeholders around health issues and health equity, including grassroots community-based organizations, health centers, schools, community leaders, and community members.
- Identify or contact members of high-risk or otherwise targeted groups, such as members of minority populations, low-income populations, or pregnant women.
- Interpret, translate, or provide cultural mediation related to health services or information for community members.
- Provide feedback to public health providers regarding improving service accessibility or acceptability.
- Refer community members to needed health and social services.
- Provide health education or otherwise disseminate medical or dental health information to school groups, community groups, or targeted families or individuals, in a manner consistent with cultural norms.
- Collect information from individuals about the general health of community members.
- Identify the particular health care needs of individuals in a community or target area.
- Maintain updated client records with plans, notes, appropriate forms, or related information.
- Advocate for individual or community health needs with government agencies or health service providers.
- Attend community meetings or health fairs to understand community issues and build relationships with community members.
- Contact clients in person, by phone, or in writing to ensure they have completed required or recommended actions.
- Distribute flyers, brochures, or other informational or educational documents to inform members of a targeted community.
- Performs related duties and fulfill responsibilities as required.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent (recognized by the Texas Education Agency or a regional accrediting agency).
- Two (2) years of experience working as a Community Health Worker (CHW), health educator, community outreach worker, or community organizer.
- A valid Class "C" Texas Driver's License or the ability to obtain a valid Class "C" Texas Driver's License within thirty (30) days after becoming a resident of the State of Texas.
- Any applicant selected for this position must have a background check completed with results satisfactory to the City of San Antonio and successfully complete the San Antonio's Cash-Handling Certification Training
- Bilingual in English and Spanish.
- Community Health Worker Certification.
- Experience working with vulnerable populations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of programs and services provided by governmental and non- governmental organizations that work to improve the health of the community.
- Knowledge of basic public health issues, methods, and principles.
- Knowledge of social skills demonstrative of empathy and support.
- Skill in interpersonal, community building, and conflict mediation.
- Skill in utilizing a personal computer and associated software programs.
- Ability to facilitate meetings in either community or home settings.
- Ability to successfully manage competing demands.
- Ability to work within a team environment and work collaboratively to accomplish common goals and objectives.
- Ability to work with families who face exceptional challenges.
- Ability to share information with professionals and the public using a variety of approaches.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to plan, organize, and implement educational programs.
- Job Type: Temp
- Skills: Community Outreach, Counseling, Effective Communication
- Industry: Public Health
- Career Level: Experienced
- Education Level: High School Diploma Or Equivalent