Portfolio Management Consultant (analyst)
The project portfolio manager will assume the overarching responsibility for supporting organizational and IT leadership in their efforts at overseeing, managing and leveraging the entire life cycle of IT and Non-IT investments and initiatives to optimally achieve enterprise goals and objectives. The role aim is to help focus leadership efforts and provide/escalate data around the organizational aim of achieving an optimized mix amount IT and Non-IT investments, making the best possible use of all resources and delivering the maximum value and benefits from projects and programs within the portfolio. The position includes some aspects and ownership for identifying, prioritizing, and coordinating projects and program resources and delivering the maximum value and benefits from projects and programs portfolio. The portfolio manger is a primary source and resource to the investment board, steering committee, and senior executive engagement for communications and reporting the state and performance to expectations for the initiatives within the project portfolio.
Some Travel is involved.
Primary Responsibilities and Activities
· Stand up a Portfolio Management Process
· Ensure adherence to the appropriate governance functions relating to the portfolio and in accordance with the enterprise guidelines, policies, and practices
· Facilitate and coordinate efforts of the senior leadership toward the establishment of the project portfolio definition, its structure and process, from demand management and strategic alignment of projects and programs; to portfolio categories and criteria; through evaluation, selection and prioritization; to execution, tracking and measuring the achieved results.
· Engage with and conduct reviews with senior executives, stakeholders, and steering committees and other relevant bodies to validate and assess the project portfolio, execute change, and reprioritize to meet business needs as required.
· Conduct regular meetings with the senior leadership to inform and alert then of any issues arising from the performance of the individual projects within the portfolio to assure the on-plan usage and consumption of resources and funding, and to highlight any variances.
· Lead reviews of significant initiatives, projects or programs that are challenged and provided recommendations as to whether it should continue, be significantly changed, placed on hold or discontinued.
· Collaborate with senior leadership, business areas, and IT to identify opportunities for applying technology development to the challenges from growing digitalization.
· Ensure the oversight and coordination of dependencies across the projects and programs in the portfolio, and resolve or escalate conflicts.
· As mandated and resourced by leadership, ensure and balance the availability of the required skills and competencies across projects and programs teams within the project portfolio.
· Direct the development and maintenance of communications and reporting around the project portfolios, their contents and the individual performance of initiatives to stakeholder and governance boards and senior leadership
· Direct the creation and maintenance of the required project portfolio documentation and artifacts•
· Support and advise executives on actions required to balance the portfolio of existing assets and services
· Education Bachelor’s or Master preferred in information systems, Business Administration, or related field or equivalent work experiencePMP Certification – Required Experience
· Ten or more years of experience in business /industry
· Seven to ten years of diverse roles and increasing leadership responsibilities across major projects or programs
· Demonstrated experience in managing “upward” among senior leadership
· Demonstrated experience in leading diverse teams
· Substantial consultant leadership experience a plus Knowledge and Skills
· Exceptional leadership skills with the ability to develop and communicate the portfolio objectives, inspire and motivate staff, and maintain alignment to the business strategy.
· Possesses a high degree of political sensitivity, astuteness and the ability to effectively use the informal power structure of the organization to achieve success and clear obstacles for the portfolio
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to explain and “sell” the portfolio goals and objectives to business as well as technical leadership
· Strong business acumen, including industry, domain-specific knowledge of the enterprise and its business units. Familiar with industry trends and innovation.
· Strong analytical, conceptual and financial analysis skills, and familiarity with financial reporting tools.
· High empathetic and able to vary styles of interaction to match the needs of a variety of business and technical audiences, as well as temperaments and personalities.
· Effective influencing and negotiation experience and skills in an environment with high competition for resources.
· Excellent analytical, strategic planning and execution skills.
· Demonstrated ability to develop and deliver against financial and resource constraints.
· Familiarity with the use of reporting tools to monitor portfolio activities and analyze portfolio performance.
· Familiarity with one or more project/program management methodologies (such as PMI, PMBOK, PRINCE2, Agile, and SMO) and across a range of projects and programs.
· This is a senior level position. The job holder will be expected to demonstrate all of the required competencies at a high level of proficiency.
· Champions portfolio goals and objectives enterprise wide
· Mobilizes others within and outside the portfolio to support and enable change efforts within individual projects/programs
· Inspires, motivates and guides team members
· Fosters commitment, team spirit, pride and trust
· Allocates team roles and account abilities
· Manages conflict swiftly toward a win-win solution
· Business Acumen & Enterprise Knowledge
· Solicits information on enterprise direction, goals and strategy to determine how the portfolio best can add value to the organization and objectives
· Makes decisions and recommendations for the portfolio that are clearly linked to the organization’s strategy and financial goals, reflecting an awareness of external dynamics
· Can manage the portfolio over a long time frame and keeps the momentum going (stamina)
· Is sensitive to rapidly resolving at or near program-boundary issues in a context-driven manner
· Influencing Others
· Communicates portfolio objectives and purpose in a persuasive manner that builds support, agreement or commitment
· Takes actions that directly or indirectly influence others to create portfolio buy-in, gain trust, and motivate actions in other or win concessions without damaging relationships
Strategic Planning & Thinking
· Develops portfolio structure and plans that meet the architecture/technologyneeds of the organization
· Applies external and internal factors to portfolio formulation and development• Considers business priorities, strategies, goals, emerging technologies, industry trends and economic viability in their portfolio approach
· Solicits advice, support, champion, sponsorship and commitment to portfolio success across the organization
· Procures and maintains support from key stakeholders in the enterprise to deliver the portfolio value and outcomes
· Builds both formal and informal professional networks, and extends these networks within, across and external to organizational boundaries
· Sets and delivers on challenging goals
· Resolves cross-project dependency issues and problems among project and program mangers swiftly
· Sets standards for the portfolio execution in terms of doing what is appropriate and correct
· Endures that goals are achieved throughout the portfolio life cycle and not only at the end
· Is resourceful, and take calculated risks to achieve results
Job Type: Contract - Full Time Temp to Hire.
Salary: $80.00 - $90.00 hourly
Location: South San Antonio (Highway 35)
- Job Type: Full-time
- Skills: Business Management
- Industry: Management
- Career Level: Experienced
- Education Level: Bachelor Degree