Maintenance Technicians $13.40
Summary: The Maintenance Technician, under the supervision of the Maintenance Supervisor or Property Manager, is responsible for the repairs and maintenance of physical structures such as office buildings and apartment units using hand tools and power tools. This position performs routine tasks related to the maintenance, repairs and modifications of buildings, equipment and common areas as requested. Operates and maintains approved power tools and light mechanical equipment. Performs basic painting, carpentry, electrical and plumbing repair work of average difficulty in response to service requests and conducts inspections of apartments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Troubleshoots repairs or replaces wiring and parts for electrical outlets, switches, light fixtures, breaker switches/fuses and fittings (e.g. leaky faucets, clogged drain and sewer lines, damaged toilets, sinks and water cutoffs).
- Performs carpentry, electrical and plumbing repair work of average difficulty in response to service.
- Maintains grounds by picking up litter, watering grass and plants, sweeping sidewalks and parking lots, raking leaves and cultivating plants.
- Scrapes, sands and/or apply cleaning agents by hand to prepare interior walls/ceilings for painting and may paint prepared surfaces with brush/roller.
- Performs make ready maintenance and cleans/disinfects commodes, sinks, bathtubs, walls, rest rooms, water fountains and replenishes rest room supplies to enhance sanitary conditions.
- Makes minor electrical, plumbing and carpentry repairs by replacing wall outlets, unstopping clogged drains and replacing doorknobs.
- Assists skilled technicians in making major repairs.
- Operates electric buffer, vacuum cleaners and other similar equipment in order to clean floors by sweeping, scrubbing, waxing, buffing, shampooing carpets and vacuuming carpets.
- Dusts and polishes furniture, woodwork and shelving, and empties and cleans wastebaskets, ashtrays and windows to enhance housing quality standards.
- Operates gasoline powered equipment such as power washers, blowers, weed-eaters, ect.
- Uses manual strength and appliance dolly to set up tables and chairs according to simple diagrams for resident activities and to remove and/or install appliances, such as refrigerators and cook stoves.
- May be required to perform work for outside of regular work schedule and to include but not limited to On Call scheduling.
- Other duties as assigned.
Commitment: Sets high standards of performance; pursues aggressive goals and works hard/smart to achieve them; strives for results and success; conveys a sense of urgency and brings issues to closure; and persists despite obstacles and opposition.
Customer Service: Meets/exceeds the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; identifies, understands monitors and measures the needs of both internal and external customers; talks and acts with customers in mind; and recognizes working colleagues as customers.
Effective Communication: Ensures important information is passed to those who need to know; conveys necessary information clearly and effectively orally or in writing; demonstrates attention to, and conveys understanding of, the comments and questions of others; and listens effectively. Demonstrates the ability to develop audiovisual presentations to both internal and external audiences.
Responsiveness and Accountability: Demonstrates a high level of conscientiousness; holds oneself personally responsible for one's own work; and does fair share of work.
Teamwork: Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; supports everyone's efforts to succeed; attends, supports, and participates in all team building exercises and events.
Continuous Improvement and Innovation: Seeks the continuous improvement of technological business processes and services; explores out-of-the-box methods and is open to experimenting with new ideas; uses data, knowledge, and strategic decision-making to generate new and innovative solutions.
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Eighteen (18) months of experience in general maintenance and upkeep of physical structures.
- Successful completion of a criminal history background check, education and work history verification and drug screening test.
- Certification (MT Permit) through the City of San Antonio for Electrical Maintenance.
License and Certifications:
- Must have the ability to earn certifications as required by assigned tasks.
- Texas Class “C” driver’s license at the time of placement and be insurable by the Housing Authority’s liability and fleet insurance carrier.
- Pass all appropriate components of the gas operator training within the first year of employment
and meet any renewal requirements.
- Obtain required MT Certification order to perform electrical maintenance within (1) year.
To perform this job successfully, the employee should have:
- Knowledge of building construction practices and terminology.
- Knowledge of standard safety and health program rules, including fire prevention.
- Knowledge of and skills to employ techniques used in the maintenance and repair of residential buildings and equipment.
- Ability to read schematics, prints or as-built drawings, and troubleshoot problems.
- Ability to work at heights and/or in crawl spaces.
- Ability to operate hand tools and approved power tools.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to work harmoniously and respectfully with staff, residents and the public.
- Ability to communicate effectively with customers and employees.
To perform this job successfully, the employee is frequently required to remain in a stationary position. Daily movements include sitting; standing; operating computers and other office equipment; moving about the office; and attending onsite and offsite meetings. The employee must be able to communicate via email and verbally via telephone. The employee must occasionally lift and transport a minimum of 50 pounds.
Work Environment :
- Maintenance and construction sites.
- Outdoor environment in all types of weather.
- Dexterity of hands to operate hand and power tools.
- Standing for long periods of time.
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information in person and on the
- Seeing to read a variety of materials.
- Lifting, carrying, pushing or pulling light to moderately heavy objects.
- Bending at the waist, kneeling, crouching or crawling.
- Work in inclement weather.
- Occasional unsanitary conditions in units.
- Job Type: Temp To Hire
- Skills: Basic Tool Knowledge
- Industry: Skilled Labor
- Career Level: Others
- Education Level: Diploma