Summary: The Leasing Agent, under the direction of the Community Manager, is a non-supervisory position that leases apartments/units and assist with resident and employee relations. This position performs routine clerical work of average difficulty involving a) taking of initial applications for housing, b) rent collection, c) re-certification of tenants. Models and ensures high performance and customer service delivery consistent with the agency’s mission, vision, and values.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Issues lease violations and monitors curb appeal for residents at the assigned developments as directed by the Property Manager.
- Addresses client needs, eligibility, in compliance with Fair Housing Laws and Resident Selection Plan.
- Tours apartments with clients; discuss all benefits of the apartment community and each apartment shown.
- Explains to the client in detail the application procedures and lease contract.
- Assures application is processed in a timely manner through the property supported database.
- Type leases, enter leasing and traffic information on logs.
- Type weekly, monthly and/or special reports as designated by Assistant Community Manager or Community Manager.
- Receives deposit and rent money, record appropriately.
- Welcomes new residents. Assist as necessary to ensure a smooth move-in.
- Processes resident transfers.
- Adheres to all policies and procedures, as well as the names and locations of other Non Profit communities.
- Completes all requests from residents using proper forms and/or software.
- Communicates clearly to the maintenance staff regarding duties and responsibilities.
- Acknowledges and assists residents with a positive and friendly tone.
- Consults with Community/Assistant Manager if a policy exception is needed
- Aids Community/Assistant Manager as directed. Assist in paperwork, touring property, vacancy issues, and policy compliance.
- Assumes responsibilities of the Community/Assistant Manager in their absence.
- Maintains a professional attitude and appearance at all times.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
This position requires the incumbent to exhibit the following behavioral skills:
Commitment: Sets high standards of performance; pursues aggressive goals and works hard/smart to achieve them; strives for results and success; conveys a sense of urgency and brings issues to closure; and persists despite obstacles and opposition.
Customer Service: Meets/exceeds the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; identifies, understands monitors and measures the needs of both internal and external customers; talks and acts with customers in mind; and recognizes working colleagues as customers.
Effective Communication: Ensures important information is passed to those who need to know; conveys necessary information clearly and effectively orally or in writing; demonstrates attention to, and conveys understanding of, the comments and questions of others; and listens effectively. Demonstrates the ability to develop audiovisual presentations to both internal and external audiences.
Responsiveness and Accountability: Demonstrates a high level of conscientiousness; holds oneself personally responsible for one's own work; and does fair share of work.
Teamwork: Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; supports everyone's efforts to succeed; attends, supports, and participates in all team building exercises and events.
Continuous Improvement and Innovation: Seeks the continuous improvement of technological business processes and services; explores out-of-the-box methods and is open to experimenting with new ideas; uses data, knowledge, and strategic decision-making to generate new and innovative solutions.
Education and Experience:
- High School or GED. Experience in lieu of a degree will be accepted on a one for one basis.
- One (1) year experience in apartment leasing and marketing fundamentals.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English.
- Must be willing to work flexible hours/days.
- Must be willing to work weekends.
- Successful completion of a criminal history background check, education, and work history verification, and drug screening test.
- Associate's Degree (A.A.) from two-year College or technical school.
License and Certifications:
- Texas Class “C” driver’s license at the time of placement and be insurable by the Housing Authority’s liability and fleet insurance carrier.
- Professional Leasing Certification & Certified Occupancy Specialist Certification required within one (1) year of employment (depending on availability of training) with no more than three attempts for certification allowed.
- Must have the ability to earn certifications as required by assigned tasks (i.e, Gracehill Training, Fair Housing Certification, etc.)
To perform this job successfully, the employee should have:
- Ability to apply superior customer service principles and practices.
- Ability to learn Elite software.
- Ability to apply PC skills such as: MS Word, Excel, and/or Google docs.
- Ability to plan and organize work.
- Ability to meet schedules and time lines.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to operate a computer, and other office equipment as assigned.
- Ability to perform data entry with efficiency and accuracy.
- Ability to prepare letters, memos, reports and statistical narratives using correct English, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations.
- Ability to read, interprets, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Knowledge of statistical report writing techniques.
- Knowledge or experience in real estate, sales, or management.
- Knowledge or experience in maintenance or inspections.
- Knowledge of safety and health practices.
- Knowledge of basic accounting principles.
To perform this job successfully, the employee is frequently required to remain in a stationary position. Daily movements include sitting; standing; operating computers and other office equipment; moving about the office; and attending onsite and offsite meetings. The employee must be able to communicate via email and verbally via telephone. The employee must occasionally transport up to 25 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office environment.
- Driving a vehicle to conduct work.
- Community and housing sites.
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information and make presentations.
- Seeing to read a variety of materials.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard.
- Occasionally lift, carry and transport material up to 20 pounds.
- Sitting 50%; standing and walking 50% to include stairs.
- Job Type: Temp To Hire
- Skills: Communication
- Industry: Work Experience
- Career Level: Others
- Education Level: Diploma