The Jobs Plus Community Organizer, under the direction and supervision of the Jobs Plus Program
Manager, is a grant-funded position that develops and mobilizes assets to promote collective community
action that leads to the creation of stronger communities. Promotes community-building principles,
job/career development, develops and coordinates relationships between community members,
neighborhood stakeholders, employers, and Housing /Jobs-Plus programs.
Essential Duties And Responsibilities
The position duties and responsibilities listed below describe the general nature and scope of work. Other
responsibilities, duties, and skills may be required and assigned, as needed. These essential functions
require presence in the workplace on a regular basis and regular attendance must be maintained.
- Surveys community to identify needs; uses focus groups and other resident groups to identify resident needs
- Identifies and establishes first contact with potential community partners to create linkages and rapport that lead to supportive services and training opportunities for residents; establish wide range of partnerships with public and private entities to provide services to the community.
- Develops, coordinates and promotes participation in community and supportive services, community planning and other , Jobs-Plus sponsored activities.
- Designs and implements activities and policies to assure broad-based participation and ongoing information sharing throughout the community.
- Works with various community agencies and employers to promote relationships and partnerships among community members and stakeholders in Jobs-Plus communities.
- Develops and maintains a wide range of partnerships with public and private entities that provide services to the community and the surrounding neighborhoods.
- Develops new partnerships as necessary to meet the changing needs of the community.
- Participates in multi-agency collaborative efforts as appropriate to meet the needs of assigned communities.
- Gathers, analyzes and reports information regarding community and supportive service needs.
- Conducts surveys by mail, individual interviews and/or focus groups; meets with appropriate individuals, departments, and community groups/agencies to develop goals and plans of action to meet customer expectations; implement continuous process improvement for service delivery.
- Works with Management and Public Affairs to implement communication plans to promote community building and/or self-sufficiency and employment activities.
- Provides community building and leadership training for Jobs-Plus Community Coaches.
- Monitors, and tracks in-kind value of all program services received from partners.
- Prepares all required reports in accordance with program guidelines; supports and assists with the implementation of appropriate tracking systems. (TAAG)
- Coordinates with job placement coordinator to develop employment related events such as job fairs; coordinates and arranges to bring residents to job fairs sponsored by outside agencies.
- Performs public relations activities to promote Jobs-Plus to SAHA residents.
- Provides local newspapers with information to develop and print success stories.
- Performs special assignments, projects and other duties as assigned.
- Works with f public housing resident councils to ensure compliance with Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) guidelines, and work with resident councils to continually improve the processes and/or rectify areas where guidelines are not being followed.
- Ensures professional development of Jobs Plus Community Coaches and prepares Community Coaches for a transition into permanent employment by the end of their tenure
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Social Sciences, Public Administration, Business, or a related field; an additional (8) years of experience may be considered in lieu of the degree requirement or Associate's Degree and (4) years of experience may be considered in lieu of the degree requirement.
- Four (4) years experience working in human services, employment services, workforce education, human resources, business or related field.
- Must have the ability to learn and use cloud applications such as Google GSuite applications to include but not limited to: Google Chrome Browser, Gmail, Drive, Calendar, Docs, Sheets and Slides. Understanding document sharing and collaboration in the cloud. Experience and proficiency with Microsoft Office 365, cloud accessible applications to include but not limited to:One drive, Outlook, Word, Excel and Powerpoint or MAC or PC desktop equivalent is acceptable.
- Successful completion of a criminal history background check, education, and work history verification, and drug screening test.
- Ability to learn cloud technologies such as LucidChart for diagram , workflow and chart drawing. Experience with Vizio or equivalent is acceptable. Basic understanding of Virtual Private Network (VPN) access to connect to internal business systems.
License And Certifications
- Texas Class “C” driver’s license at the time of placement and be insurable by the Housing Authority’s liability and fleet insurance carrier.
- Must have the ability to earn certifications as required by assigned tasks.
To perform this job successfully, the employee should have:
- Ability to work independently, contact and meet employers and their hiring agents.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with local employers and employment and training strategies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and proven negotiation and marketing skills.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience, and courtesy.
- PC software skills.
- Excellent and proven ability to place into employment individuals from exceptionally diverse populations; including low income people, refugees and immigrants, and those with limited English speaking abilities.
- Ability to lead both individuals and groups in accomplishing tasks based upon individual needs,interests and abilities.
- Leadership skills required.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with racially and ethnically diverse low-income applicants and residents as well as business leaders and employers.
- Ability to travel around the service area in a timely manner with reliable transportation.
- Excellent and proven skills in coordination and collaboration among both private and public sector organizations.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Meet schedules and timelines.
- Plan and organize work.
- Work independently under minimal supervision and guidance.
- Work respectfully and courteously with staff, residents and the general public.
- Job Type: Temp To Hire
- Skills: Customer Service
- Industry: Management
- Career Level: Intermediate
- Education Level: Associate Degree