Under general supervision, is responsible for performing journey level technical engineering work securing technical data necessary in initiating engineering related projects. May exercise functional supervision over assigned staff.
Essential Job Functions
- Establishes street and alley grades and prepares cutsheets.
- Calculates bearings, distances, and areas needed in preparing field
- Reviews street construction plans, profiles, and specifications to
determine accuracy and completeness.
- Directs and advises survey field crews and draftsmen.
- Assists in drafting plans, charts, maps, and specifications for
municipal public works projects.
- Prepares, updates, and reviews cost estimates for projects.
- Investigates project site prior, during, and after construction.
- Researches existing technical data which may affect a project.
- Acts as point of contact for citizens, consultants, and/or contractors
and assists in resolving complaints.
- Inputs and analyzes data from a computer database.
- Maintains records and maps on projects assigned.
- Develops and monitors production and project schedules.
- Performs related duties and fulfills responsibilities as required.
- Associate's Degree from an accredited college or university.
- One (1) year of engineering, drafting, or traffic operations
- Valid Class 'C' Texas Driver's License.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of engineering and drafting principles and practices.
- Knowledge of construction materials.
- Knowledge of surveying techniques and practices.
- Skill in operating a computer in engineering design and drafting.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with
City staff and the general public.
- Ability to research, analyze, and compile engineering data.
- Ability to perform moderately complex engineering and mathematical
Physical requirements include occasional lifting/carrying of 15 pounds;
visual acuity, speech and hearing; hand and eye coordination and manual
dexterity necessary to operate a computer keyboard and basic office
equipment. Subject to sitting, standing, reaching, walking long distance, twisting,
and kneeling to perform the essential functions. Working conditions are
primarily inside an office environment with occasional visits to outdoor
sites and exposure to temperature extremes and dirt.
- Job Type: Temp To Hire
- Skills: Detail Oriented
- Industry: Engineers
- Career Level: Intermediate
- Education Level: Associate Degree