Under general supervision, is responsible for performing preventative maintenance activities on heavy and off-road equipment. Performs minor repairs on light-duty vehicles and trucks. Exercises no supervision.
Essential Job Functions
- Performs assigned preventative maintenance work including changing
oil and other fluids, greasing joints, and replacing filters on heavy
equipment and some light-duty vehicles.
- Performs minor repairs including work on starters, alternators,
brakes, belts, hoses, windshield wipers, and gasoline engines.
- Completes required work order paperwork.
- Conducts safety checks on all equipment.
- Assists in heavy equipment repairs and heavy equipment adjustments.
- Assists higher level mechanics on project work.
- Performs other maintenance duties.
- Transports vehicles of all types to work locations or repair vendors.
- Performs inventory, monitors check out/check in of parts, and
identifies salvageable parts.
- May change/repair tires and wash equipment, as needed.
- Performs related duties and fulfills responsibilities as required.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent (recognized by the Texas
Education Agency or a regional accrediting agency).
- Minimum of six (6) months of experience performing essential job
functions listed above which could include experience gained through a
technical training program.
- Must possess a Texas Class "A" Driver's License (CDL) or obtain
within 90 days of employment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of operating characteristics of a variety of automotive and
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and standard safety precautions,
practices, and procedures.
- Knowledge of tools, equipment, and diagnostic testing devices used in
auto, truck, and heavy equipment repair and maintenance.
- Knowledge of automotive heavy equipment systems repair and
- Knowledge of principles and practices of record keeping.
- Knowledge of repair and maintenance scheduling techniques and
- Knowledge of automotive and heavy equipment trouble shooting and
diagnostic procedures and techniques.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in
- Ability to perform automotive and heavy equipment repairs and
- Ability to diagnose defects and repair needs on a wide variety of
automobiles, trucks, and heavy equipment.
- Ability to operate all tools and equipment used in automotive and
heavy equipment repair.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships,
with employees, supervisors, and the general public.
- Ability to perform all the physical requirements of the position.
Physical requirements include frequently lifting/carrying up to 50
pounds; visual acuity, speech and hearing; hand and eye coordination and
manual dexterity necessary to operate several types of medium and heavy
equipment. Subject to walking, lifting, kneeling, standing, and stooping
to perform essential functions. Working conditions are primarily in an
outside or shop environment with frequent exposure to temperature
extremes, dust, damp/wet surfaces, high noise levels, oily surfaces, and
hazardous heavy equipment. May require shift work, weekends, nights, and
- Job Type: Temp To Hire
- Skills: Basic Tool Knowledge
- Industry: Mechanic
- Career Level: Experienced
- Education Level: High School Diploma Or Equivalent