The primary role of truck dispatchers is to schedule drivers to make deliveries and pick up packages or shipments from customers. Truck dispatchers communicate with customers to record details about shipments, arrange pick up times and discuss any special handling issues. They also set up driver routes. In addition, truck dispatchers review drivers’ logs and maintain various records, such as those pertaining to dispatched calls, vehicle repair, freight bills, and arrival times.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Arrange for Package Deliveries and Pickups
In their main role, truck dispatchers schedule deliveries and pickups. They communicate with customers to arrange times for shipments to be picked up and schedule deliveries by creating a pre-determined route. They make numerous changes to this route throughout the day as dictated by customer requests and shipment arrangements.
- Create Shipping and Dispatch Documents
Truck dispatchers are often required to maintain records of dispatched calls, driver routes, delivery and pickup times, and truck repairs and maintenance. They also log customer shipping schedules and complaints and maintain details of route changes. In addition, truck dispatchers might keep records of driver training sessions and CDL and other requirements.
- Generate Freight Bills and Invoices
It is often up to truck dispatchers to create billing and invoice documents for shipments. They are responsible for ensuring that drivers receive any necessary documents before making a pickup. They also invoice customers for payment of shipment pickups and handle all issues regarding charges for these services.
- At least six (6) months previous experience as a CDL dispatcher.
- Knowledge of GPS tracking.
- Previous work experience in a warehouse environment.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to effectively communicate with drivers, vendors, managers, customers, and other dispatchers.
- Strong written communication skills would be vital in producing the reports generated in this position.
- Ability to work independently or as a member of a team
Set schedule (5am-3pm) with possible Saturday's if needed or every other weekend.
- Job Type: Full-time
- Skills: Communication
- Industry: Work Experience
- Career Level: Experienced
- Education Level: High School Diploma Or Equivalent